International strategy in Tottori Uni.

Resident registration

Resident card

  • Resident card is issued to the person who has “College Student” status. Students who are granted permission to stay for less than 3 months are not issued the resident card. 
  • If you land in the principal airports such as Narita, Haneda, Chubu and Kansai, you will be issued a resident card at the airport.
  • If you land in other airports or ports, the resident card will be mailed to your address where you register at the City Office.

The mid- to long term residents have to carry their resident card all the time and present it to government authorities when requested.

Period of Stay

Period of stay for "College Student" will be 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 1 year and 6 months, 2 years, 2 years and 3 months, 3 years, 3 years and 3 months, 4 years, 4 years and 3 months.

Procedure of resident registration

Foreign residents have to make a notification to city office within 14 days when finding a place to settle down or moving house.

Situation Office
Notification (change) of place of residence* At municipal Offices
Notification of a change of name, date of birth,
gender, or nationality/region
At Regional
Immigration Offices
Application for updating the validity period of
the resident card
Application for re-issuance of a resident card
(In case the resident card is lost, stolen,
severely damaged or defaced)
Notification concerning the spouse
Notification concerning the organization to which International students belongs. For more details, please click here.
<Attention> If you don't submit this notification, you may be imposed a penalty. 
Immigration Bureau of

*When you move into another municipality, it is necessary to submit a "move-out notification" to the previous municipality office in accordance with the Basic Resident Registration Act.

Re-entry permit system

Foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and resident card who will be re-entering Japan within 1 year of their departurewill, in principle, not be required to apply for a re-entry permit.
Be sure to present your resident card at the departure!!
*If your period of stay expires within 1 year after your departure, please ensure to re-enter Japan before the expiration day.

Please check the following websites for more detail.
Immigration Bureau Japan "Start of a new residency management system"
Ministry of internal Affairs and Communication " A New Resident Registration System"

click here>>Multilingual information