International strategy in Tottori Uni.

Immigration control procedures

The "Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act" determines the procedures and necessary documentation related to matter of the entry and the departure in Japan, and visa/residence status. To extend your period of stay in Japan, and for various other procedures relating to visa/residence status, you will need to go, in person, to an Immigration Service Agency office in the appropriate jurisdiction with all the necessary documents.
Generally, it is necessary for the applicant to go to the Immigration Bureau office in person when submitting any applications related to international students and researchers, or members of their family. However, for international students who belong to Tottori University (scheduled to attend), various applications are conducted by Tottori University, IAD on behalf of students.

If you stay in Japan illegally after your period of stay, work part-time without permission to engage in activities other than those permitted under the status of residence, or work in an adult entertainment business, you will be punished.


Tottori Prefecture Immigration Bureau

◆Hiroshima Regional Immigration Bureau, Sakaiminato Branch Office(Website

 3rd floor, Yonago Airport Bldg., 1634 Sainokami-cho,

 Sakaiminato-shi, Tottori, 684-0055, TEL: 0859-47-3600


Applications on behalf of international students/researchers by the Center for International Affairs and International Affairs Division

International Affairs Division (IAD) make applications on behalf of international students. Applications are filed on a fixed date, please check the "What's New" page.
Note: Sometimes applicants are requested by the Immigration Bureau to submit to an interview or to report to the bureau in person for other reasons. There is a limit to the number of applications per application and we may not be able to accept some applications. Please consult with the IAD first.

Persons to which this applies

 1. International students (students formally accepted by the university)

 2. Foreign researchers (researchers formally accepted by the university)

 3. Spouses and children of persons of category 1 or 2 above (Such persons can obtain only a Certificate of Eligibility if they enter Japan together with the student/researcher.)

Types of applications
No. Type of application
1 Application for Certificate of Eligibility
2 Application for Extension of Period of Stay
3 Application for Change of Status of Residence (Only for a student visa)
4 Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted
5 Application for Re-entry Permit*

*Foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and resident card who will be re-entering Japan within 1 year of their departure to continue their activities in Japan will, in principle, not be required to apply for a re-entry permit. But if your period of stay expires within 1 year after your departure, please ensure that you re-entry Japan before the expiration of your period of stay.


Procedure flow

Procedure Flow 


Useful websites and contacts

Foreign Resident General Information Center, etc.

Immigration Service Agency

Hiroshima Regional Immigration Service Bureau