International strategy in Tottori Uni.

Guide to acceptance of international researchers

Procedures before coming to Japan

1. Procedures
  1. Agreement between host researcher of Tottori University and the international researcher to conduct joint research.
  2. The host researcher applies to the head of his/her department for approval to host the visitor (via the General Affairs Section of the department)
  3. Approval to host the visitor is given by the department's consultative body.
  4. Director of the department applies to the university' president for an approval to host the visitor.
  5. Approval is confirmed (on the sole authority of the director of the International Exchange Division). 

    (Points below apply if visa procedures are followed using an "Application for Certificate of Eligibility".) 
  6. Acceptance permission is issued by the applicable department (This will be used for the No.7 process).
  7. Application is made for a Certificate of Eligibility.
  8. Certificate of Eligibility is issued and sent to the international researcher.
  9. International researcher applies for a visa at Japanese embassy or consulate in their country.
  10. Visa is issued.
  11. International researcher enters Japan.
2. Application for the Certificate of Eligibility
  1. Application procedures
    All foreign nationals need a visa to remain in Japan for longer than three months. To obtain a visa, foreign researchers need to apply it to a Japanese embassy or consulate in their home country. If, when applying for a visa, the applicant has a "Certificate of Eligibility" issued by the Immigration Bureau of the Ministry of Justice of Japan, the visa application can be approved in a shorter period of time. To apply for a Certificate of Eligibility, host researcher, on behalf of the international researcher, must collect all the necessary documents (refer to the "Residence Status Acknowledgement Form" under "International Researchers" on the website for the Center for International Affairs), and take these documents to the Sakaiminato branch of the Hiroshima Immigration Bureau in Sakaiminato City. The Certificate of Eligibility will be issued approximately one to three months after the application. It will be sent by postal mail from the Immigration Bureau to the host researcher, who can then forward it to the international researcher.
    * Visa application by agent / proxy
    Once every two months, an academic staff member of the Center for International Affairs and a staff member of the International Affairs Division solicit visa applications on behalf of international researchers.  

 Required documents


  1. Types of residence status
    "Professor": To engage in research, research guidance, or educational activities at university, other tertiary institution, or technical college in Japan. 
    Period of stay: One year or three years

    "Cultural Activities": Unpaid academic or artistic activities, specialized research into Japanese culture or art; or study of Japanese culture or art under the guidance of specialists (excluding activities covered by the status of "College Student" "Pre-college Student" or "Trainee.")
    Period of stay: Six months or one year
3. Housing

Researchers should arrange their own housing. You will be able to live in the International House (dormitory for international students and researchers) for one year if there is a vacancy.
Detail/ Application

After arriving in Japan

1.Registration of your residence

When you enter Japan through major airports(Narita, Haneda, Chubu, and Kansai) as a new entrant, a residence card is issued on the spot. When you enter Japan trough other ports and airports, it is mailed at a later date to an address of your residence, of which you will notify the city office.

Please carry your residence card at all times.

2. National Pension Plan

All residents of Japan aged between 20 and 60 are required to join the National Pension Plan. Please apply for it at the National Pension Plan Section of the city offices.

However, it is possible to secure a total or partial (50%) exemption from payment of National Pension Plan premiums, if you apply for it.

Please check the website of Japan Pension Service for details.

3. National Health Insurance

Anyone who resides in Japan for up to 3 months or longer is required to enroll in the National Health Insurance. With this insurance, you will be entitled to receive medical treatment for illness or injury for only 30% of the normal cost at any medical care facility in Japan (by presenting your national health insurance card). This insurance reassures you in the case that you suffer an illness or injury that requires medical treatment costing more than the limit of your overseas travel personal accident insurance.

To apply for the National Health Insurance program, you will need to present your residence card and passport. For more details, inquire at National Health Insurance Division at the city office.

If you transfer to another city, leave Japan permanently, birth or death of a dependent family member in Japan, or if your health insurance card is lost or stolen, you will need to report it to the city office. If you fail to follow the proper procedures your health insurance card may become invalid.

※Please refer to the page, Information about living in Japan for international students.

Apply for a Re-entry permit

"Re-entry"means that you enter Japan again after returning to your country temporarily or leaving Japan for a travel, etc.. Even if it is a short period of time, please make sure to check the following contents.

Re-entry permit

When you re-enter Japan within a permitted period of stay after more than one year has passed since your departure from Japan and continue to engage in activity in Japan again, you don't need to obtain a visa afresh for your re-entry to Japan if you have been issued a re-entry permit before your departure from Japan. There are two types of re-entry permits:"One-time re-entry permit that is valid only once(fees 3,000yen)and"Multiple re-entry permit that can be used multiple times until the expiration date(fees 6,000yen).

Please go to the website of Immigration Service Agency of Japan for application. 

Special Re-entry Permit

It is not necessary to obtain a "Re-entry Permit" if you re-enter Japan within one year after you have departed from Japan to resume your permitted activity. This system is called a "special Re-entry Permit". Please note that you need to be careful about the following points.

Note 1: If your period of stay expires within one year, you need to re-enter Japan before the expiration of your period of stay.

Note 2: If you leave Japan under the special Re-entry Permit system, it is not possible to extend the valid period of the special re-entry permit from outside of Japan.

Note 3: Please tick the column "Manifestation of the Intention to Re-enter Japan with a Special Re-entry Permit" on a "Re-entry and Departure Record(Re-entry ED card)". If you fail to tick the column, you may not be able to enter Japan.