International strategy in Tottori Uni.

Student housing support

Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan (House Insurance)

Guarantor or cosigner is usually required before you move into the rental property.
This insurance policy makes it easier psychologically and financially burdens placed on the person acting as your guarantor.
If international students want to join this insurance, Tottori University will become your guarantor.

For more detailshttp://www.jees.or.jp/crifs/index.htm

Tottori University International Student Housing Security Deposit program (Housing Security Deposit Program)

If international students who have joined the insurance described above (House Insurance) cause any damages to the rental property, which is not covered by theHouse Insurance Policy, Tottori University will pay the expenses resulting from those damages (If the total compensation limit is exceeded).

Qualified Applicants

  • International students who has “College Student” status and currently enrolled in Tottori University

*International students who enrolled in Tottori University United Graduate School of Agriculture and currently studying in Shimane University are not eligible to register in the Housing Security Deposit Program.

  • Prospective students who have been accepted to enroll in Tottori University in the following academic year

Attention) If you would like to continue living in the current apartment after your graduation, you have to change your guarantor. Please take the procedure to change it as soon as possible.

Other Housing  insurances

When you rent an apartment without joining the House Insurance described above, be sure to join “Housing-related Insurance” which is provided by non-life insurance company.

If you are responsible for causing the fire or flooding and damage your rented residence or neighbors property, you will be liable to pay damage compensation. In such case, the amount of damage compensation will be too high for any individula to pay. For this reason, please make sure to join “Housing-related Insurance”.

The policies of premiums depend on insurance company, home size, and construction. Typically a range from 5,000 to 10,000 yen (annual). To choose suitable insurance company, please consult your supervisor or staff of IAD.
 We also advise you to purchase an earthquake insurance policy, since earthquakes happens often in Japan.

How to apply for the Housing Security Deposit Program

STEP1 - Apply to the International Affairs Division (IAD) 

Submit a copy of your student ID and Resident Card, and receive package of required documents.

Required documents ①  Application for Tottori University International Student Housing Security Deposite Program (Form1)
②  Pledge (Form 2)
③  Apartment Tenancy Guarantee (two sheets)
*Please ask the landlord or real estate agent to sign and seal at the bottom of this document.
④  The request to the landlord or real estate agent
*Please hand it to the landlord or real estate agent 

 STEP2 - Submit application, pledge, a copy of the draft lease contract and the Apartment Tenancy Guarantee to IAD

Receive a copy of the draft lease contract and the two sheets of Apartment Tenancy Guarantee, including agent's seal, from the landlord or real estate agent and submit it to IAD with the application① and pledge②.

Submitted documents A copy of the draft lease contract
Apartment Tenancy Guarantee including agent's seal (Above③:two sheets)
Completed Application (Above①)
Complated Pledge (Above②)

The guarantee will be returned to you in 3 days after we confirm that you pay insurance premium. Please come to IAD to show the premium receipt after you pay it (¥8000 for two years or ¥4000 for one year) by ATM machine at  Post Office.
*You cannot pay the premium at ATM machine on campus. Please visit Post Office nearby.

STEP3 - Receive the Apartment Tenancy Guarantee from IAD

Receive two sheets of Apartment Tenancy Guarantee, including guarantor's seal, and take it to the landlord or real estate agent.

Step4 - Submit the Apartment Tenancy Guarantee, including landlord's seal, to IAD after the signing the contract

Submit a copy of the Apartment Tenancy Guarantee, including landlord's seal, to IAD.