International exchange in Tottori Uni.

Application for Resident Status (immigration control procedures)

Definitions of each residence status

Status of Residence Authorized Activities in Japan Period of Stay Remarks
Professor Research, research guidance and educational activities at universities and affiliated institutes or at advanced technical schools designated as Koto-senmon-gakko in Japan. 1 year or
3 years

・JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship

Cultural Activities Non-salaried academic/artistic activities, specialized research into Japanese culture/art, or study of Japanese culture/art under the guidance of specialists 1 year or
6 months
・Tottori university Foreign Researchers
Dependant Daily activities as dependant spouses or children of someone who has the status of residence as follows: Professor, Cultural Activities. 3 months,
6 months,1 year, 2 years or 3years
Short stay Sightseeing, vacation, sports, visiting relatives, going on site inspection tours, participating in lectures/meetings, business contacts or other similar activities during a short period of stay in Japan. 15 days, 30 days, or 90 days ・Someone who will stay within 90 days (including 90th day.)

You have to apply to a regional immigration bureau (Sakai-minato office of Hiroshima immigration bureau) for these status of residence except for short stay.

Application & Example

See this page

Owning a car and obtaining a driver's license

  If you buy a car you must make sure that it is registered in your name, and that you obtain automobile insurance (voluntary insurance). Also, owners of all private-use cars except, for compact light automobiles (kei jidosha), must apply for a parking permit. For light automobiles, it is still necessary to report the location where the car will normally be parked. If you wish to buy a car, you will need to complete various procedures. For further details, contact the Traffic Planning Division, Traffic Department at Tottori Prefectural Police Headquarters (Tel. 0857-23-0110). Prior to driving a car in Japan, it is necessary to obtain a suitable Japanese driver's license or possess an appropriate international driver's license. Carefully check the type of license you hold and its period of validity. International driver's licenses can only be used for one year from the date of arrival in Japan, or until the validity period of the license expires, whichever is sooner. Note that some international driver's licenses may not be valid in Japan. Before you drive in Japan, verify the validity of your license with the Tottori Prefecture Tottori East Driver's License Center (2-8 Chiyomi, Tottori-shi Tel. 0857-28-5885). Give proper care and consideration to all aspects of driving in Japan - making sure you correctly follow all applicable procedures, and to observe all traffic regulations, to avoid putting yourself and others in danger on the road.